I discovered ayurvedic herbs by sheer coincidence while surfing the web. (For those of you who don't know what these are, they're Indian medicinal herbs.)
Actually, if I remember correctly, I was looking for hair loss remedies & happened to come upon them. At the time I was losing a lot of hair due to a very stressful situation & I was looking for... anything that would help.
Anyway, I found a post about Shikakai & it's cleansing properties & started researching more ayurvedic herbs. I came to find about 6 herbs that were supposed to help strengthen roots to reduce hair loss & also gently/ naturally cleanse the hair.
I ordered the powders this week & I received the Shikakai, Amla, & Aretha Powders today as well as coconut & jojoba oil. Now, I'm just waiting for the other three powders to arrive as well as the coconut powder. I can't quite remember what the other three powders were, but I got them from http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/ & this is what the website says about each of the ones that I ordered.
1. Shikakai:is said to promote hair growth and strengthen hair roots.
2. Amla: is said to penetrate the scalp and strengthen hair at its root, to stop and reverse abnormal hair loss and to promote stronger, healthier new growth. It is also an excellent conditioning herb.
3. Aritha: The pulp of the fruit contains a high level of saponins that act as natural foaming agents. This powder can be used to wash delicate fabrics as well as to wash sensitive skin and hair.
4. Bhringraj: is an ancient remedy for hair loss, premature graying, skin allergies, and devitalized skin and hair.
5. Brahmi: It is said to strengthen the hair roots, relieve itchy scalp problems and help dandruff.
Actually, I just found another one. Get this. Hibiscus petal powder: stimulates thicker hair growth and prevents premature graying, hair loss and scalp disorders.
I think I'm going to order this too to make the shampoo for my hair.
I'll post the recipe for the shampoo & conditioner once I have all the ingredients.
On a final note, I think I'm going to scent the everything with a coconut bodyshop perfume oil so that it smells nice.